Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Bird Names, Daylily Names

<
Wednesday, April 4, 2007

30.2 degrees here on the hill and the snow flakes have changed from the size of half dollars to a fine mist of snow moving south east parallel to the earth. Karl the wonder dog is upset with an unknown contractor who didn't please me all that much by turning his trailer complete with Traxcavator around in our drive. He was just leaving when I got up to watch the rear wheels coming off the front astilbe garden which now looks like a pair of drainage ditches. It is probably good I didn't get to this sight sooner as I have an unpleasant and vociferous way of reacting when our property has been stepped on.

The weatherman suggests a storm is coming and Gail reminds me that I might be plowing in the morning. I'm not happy about that thought either as plowing snow in the spring is a difficult job and you often end up plowing things you shouldn't. We have to get going early tomorrow to Burlington so any detraction to early morning responsibilities is not well thought of. Heavy snows in April are not uncommon in Vermont but as you get older, they are much less welcomed.


I felt badly about all the birds coming to the feeder only to find it covered with three inches of snow. The seed bucket was empty so I left the computer for a minute to go downstairs and get a refill. Every time I open the galvanized trash cans that serve as seed reservoirs, I scold myself for leaving brand new containers outside last fall before the bears went into hibernation. The two cans in the cellar are shiny, new and clean but they are also well dented and neither covers fits right. The cans were empty when the bears struck but they didn't know it at first. I guess they thought the assortment of bungie cords I tied the cans together with represented food inside. Bears make good can crushers and men with poor memories give them new targets each fall.

On an afternoon like this, it's difficult for me to understand geography and meteorology. Gail received an Internet order yesterday from Kansas for some of the Munson dayliles. It is often clear that I'm not the only one with poor geography skills as people often ask what day we can ship and Gail tells them it's tough to tell with several feet of snow on the ground. If you live in another part of our country you might not understand that your warm day might be different 12-1500 miles away. It was 80 degrees in that part of Kansas but only 48 here with a wind that made things feel like 30. I'll be the iris and peonies were up as the customer said the daylilies were almost a foot tall.


As I look out the office window and down onto one of the daylily nurseries, I am reminded how much I like the daylilies named after birds. Big Bird, Cedar Waxwing, Starling, Sceech Owl, Ruby Throat, Bald Eagle, Scarlet Tanager, Nile Crane, Wood Duck. Not the same hybirdizers but some fine plants with some nice names. No Pileated Woodpecker, no Yellow Sapsucker here but some real nice daylilies. Maybe some day I should round up one of each and plant them in a special garden with a variety of bird houses or bird feeders. Right now I'll just think about them. The smell of the pot roast cooking is enough for me to keep my eyes on the monitor. I have to get going here.

From the mountain above Peacham Pond where light snows fall from grey skies and the threat of more snow encourages workers to head right home tonight.

Gardening wishes;

George Africa
http://vermontflowerfarm.com
http://vermontgardens.blogspot.com


No comments: