Monday, April 02, 2007

The Pruner, Gloves and Socks Mystery


Monday, April 2, 2007

32.7 degrees here on the hill. I just came in from walking Karl the wonder dog. He is not too wonderful tonight because he doesn't care for cold, damp nights with a mix of big snowflakes and sleet pellets. Neither do I. Nights like this one remind me of when he was a pup and I volunteered for the last walk at about 10:30 one night. Although you are taught to always be in control of your dog, the last toe stumbling walk of the night is not a time to reflect on what you have been taught. I had given him too much lead after plowing through six pots I had pulled for an order. Out of nowhere I felt wind swooshing over my head just when Karl, the wonder dog, jumped into a nearby lilac tree for protection. He barely made it. It was some kind of owl, raptor, or pterodactyl-like winged creature with small dog on it's menu and me in its way. I never got a look at it in the darkness of that night but I have told many people since then to "hold tight at night". Owl or raptor doesn't do as much for the memory as pterodactyl, especially if you ever saw one in a science fiction movie.

Gail was reading an article yesterday about pruning and it reminded me that I wanted to write something about taking care of tools and even buying good tools. Time is getting short here and we already have too many irons in the fire with the bathroom renovation project finishing up just in time to cover the little greenhouse and begin planting. When you buy new tools, expensive isn't necessarily "best" but it's "better". Hand pruners is a good example. I have a bucket full of hand pruners that won't cut butter but probably cost $8-$9-$10-$12 a piece. I bought them because at the time I needed a new pair and I kept telling myself to "buy better" and they'll last longer. Sometime I'll throw them on a canvas and let you see what I mean. Even a picture will convince you never to buy anything but quality.

The pruners pictured laying on the magizine above aren't even available now but if they were I would buy a box full. They were made by the Scotts Company somewhere between 25 and 45 years ago. They still take a file well and sharpen up with a few strokes going each way. The spring mechanism is still strong and the bakelite handles make them light weight and easy to hold onto with wet hands.

Certain hand tools are like socks and gloves to me. Friday we needed work gloves to stack a couple cords of wood I had split. Gail pulled out the bag of gloves we always have clean and by the back door for workers and visitors. She found a couple-three pairs but also found 11 left handed gloves. How could we lose 11 right handed gloves? Gloves are like socks around here. Just a mystery will a smattering of laziness I guess. Our house may be no different than yours except that we start out with more and still end up with half. Gardening has strange math which I do not understand. If you can help me out, drop me a line. If not, just remember to buy well and take care of your tools and other possessions.

From the mountain above Peacham Pond where Karl snores by the woodstove while sleet hits the office windows.

Gardening wishes.

George Africa


http://vermontflowerfarm.com
http://vermontgardens.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You just need to find a left-handed gardening friend... they probably have bunches of extra right-hand gloves, so you can pair up the extras and split them between you! (Worked for my grandma and aunt...)