Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Art in the Garden


Wednesday, October 27, 2010

58°, windless, with light sprinkles that started again. Karl the Wonder Dog just returned from his second walk of the morning and seems disgusted that my empty oatmeal bowl is still empty. I'm wondering how it got to be 9 o'clock and I haven't pushed back from the computer yet.

Two weeks ago I was in Maine enjoying some nice gardens. One was the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden in Boothbay. I have visited there annually since it opened and it's a pleasure to see the changes. I especially enjoy the art that is incorporated and wanted to mention a couple links for those who haven't or cannot visit this fine place.

On my first visit several years back I was struck by Dale Chihuly's glass sculpture in the Slater Forest Pond. I had seen his work in Seattle before and kept going back to this little pond to see glass like I had not seen in the east before. This year I spent more time with some work by Squidge Liljeblad Davis Here are four examples that seem so simple but offer a complexity of emotion that works so well with a garden setting. I stop and stare and hope others don't see me staring until I walk away and turn back to see unknown visitors doing the same.




Maine has a large number of incredible artists and Falmouth curator June LaCombe has done a superb job showcasing their art at Coastal Maine Botanical Garden. I remember the first time I approached the gates of the garden and how struck I was by the animal sculptures of Wendy Klemperer. To see a life size elk or a howling wolf makes me see through the sculpture and visualize the same creature alive and moving through the gardens. Check out Klemperer's site and you'll find some examples that have been displayed at CMBG.

Art will have to become a memory now as I have parts of the next three days to finish work at the nursery, plant the last 3 katsura trees, a dozen lilacs and a couple-three nine barks. And I absolutely cannot forget to plant a big pot of Hosta Empress Wu and some odds and ends of pulmonaria. There may be a warm day or two in early November but more often than not when it snows the end of October, the snows is with us here when the calender displays a new year.

Writing from the mountain above Peacham Pond where Gail is making a carrot cake for tonight's Hardy Plant Club potluck while 6 turkey's have climbed the bank and are looking in my office window.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook at 2 pages: George Africa and Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens
On Twitter as vtflowerfarm
Social networking makes gardeners garden better!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wonderful art, George. It's nice to see exquisite work like these complementing a garden. My garden art tends toward locally made, rather whimsical sculptures (I have a 4 1/2 foot tall hollyhock made out of recycled oil barrel metal, and crows to match it), but I do love the more serious, serene sorts of work you show here.