Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Asticou Azalea Garden


Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The quiet of 4:30 AM was as quiet as now, almost 2 hours later. 24.1 ° this morning, the coldest morning of fall 2010. Hunters have been complaining of not seeing enough deer while gardeners complain of too many. I suspect last night's cold will begin to encourage the bucks to get moving and more sitings will prevail. I have one request for information on the deer fence I use and I have to call my supplier and find out what the current shipping situation is. This has become a big market for the fence folks and fewer hunters and more urbanization have pushed deer to become a big nuisance in places.

I have always had a problem with the world travelers who have to pack up the family and travel great distances when they don't even know what is going on in their own backyard. There seems to be this need among some to be able to stand in a group of people and brag about a trip to Paris or Jamaica or Costa Rica with the kids while not even understanding the fun or historical significance of Lake Champlain or the beauty/harshness/economic impact of the Barre granite quarries. My opinion on this is everyone wants to point fingers now on why kids don't excel but they don't want to hold themselves responsible for their growth.

Yesterday was an example. We went to Shelburne Museum to see the new exhibits including the Ansel Adams and Edward Burtynsky exhibit and the Alzheimer's Forgetting Piece by Piece quilt exhibit. As we approached the gallery that held the Adams exhibit, a totally unruly group of school kids complete with teachers came by. Ten minutes later the teachers were asked to get the kids under control or leave the gallery. A visit to any museum is a gold mine of experience but it should be tied to a lesson plan that begins with behavior, goals, responsibility, and homework after the trip. Enough!.....but I think I am right.

My personal trips around New England get me to gardens someone else has put their life in. For some time, Asticou Azalea Garden in Northeast Harbor, Maine was on the list. Actually it was an art exhibit at the Farnsworth Art Museum in Rockland, Maine that was the catalyst that got me thinking now was the time.

Designed and built by Charles K. Savage around 1956, this Japanese style stroll garden uses Japanese design techniques and the natural landscape of this famous Maine peninsula. The garden was probably encouraged by the availability-for-relocation of the valuable Reef Point plant collection owned by Beatrix Ferrand. I'm guessing too that the generosity of financial support from John D Rockefeller, Jr. brought the garden together....all in one year. The history of the Mount Desert Island area is very valuable and points out how long and challenging residents, gardeners, and visitors have worked together on this beautiful piece of earth.

I have added a photo album (Asticou Azalea Garden) on my Facebook business page, Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens. There are 46 pictures that document what this marvelous garden offers. Each photo is worth more than I can say. Bad behavior, by the way, is not the property of kids. I saw a woman with a camera worth more money than I can imagine walking away from the middle of the freshly raked Sand Garden. If I ever see her face on a book jacket I'll give her a good review. Like great gardens, I never forget a face. If you get to Mount Desert, visit this garden. You'll never forget it!





Writing from the mountain above Peacham Pond where most of the loons have left but Canada geese honk good morning.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook as George Africa
On Facebook with a year 'round business page, Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens
On twitter as vtflowerfarm

No comments: