Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reminder of Fall


Thursday, September 16, 2010

39° here on the mountain above Peacham Pond. The sun is breaking through the clouds, the grass is heavy with yesterday's raindrops, and the morning is quiet as if the wild things don't want to stir yet. These are reminders that fall is approaching. Even the hydrangeas by the back walk have taken on a rosy-pink color to their happy faces as reminder of impending seasonal change.

Two feet of light fog wanders across the trout pond this morning but the glass finish on the water doesn't move. Karl the Wonder Dog, just back from a quick walk, has renestled by the now-cold wood stove as if continuing where he left off last night. Life is good for some dogs!

I have always promised those who follow The Vermont Gardener that I would try to talk gardening interspersed with people stories, Vermont, my family and friends. We have just returned from our annual Maine vacation and as such I would like to write a couple stories here about people I met and places I went. Hold tight and I'll get back to garden talk very soon. First up, two men I met in Maine....check tomorrow morning, as for now I have to get into the woods and get some wood worked up before the heavy rains of this afternoon chase me inside.


Writing from the mountain above Peacham Pond where goldenrod yellow prevails, fooling people that they are allergic to it (not so) while providing a food source for insects galore.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook as Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens
On Twitter as vtflowerfarm


No comments: