Wednesday, September 15, 2010

We're Ba-a-a-a-ck!

Portland Head Lighthouse
South Portland, Maine

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

41° and cloudy here on the mountain. Last night's heavy rains drip-drip-drip off everything and there's a quiet about the morning suggesting that the animals are sleeping in. Two deer just awoke with my coaxing from beds in the middle of the field below my office window. A doe looked straight at me and gave a big snort in deer talk, probably expressing dissatisfaction with the interruption. I only offered a wake up call because I wanted to see the full set of antlers that I thought I saw but didn't. Vermont is good!

Just returned yesterday afternoon from a vacation in Maine. The Vermont Gardener has been silent and private e-mails have inquired about my absence. Everyone needs a change of pace once in a while and after working 7 days a week since April 1st, change was due.

I'll get unpacked today and tend to domestic chores, email, go for a walk, talk to neighbors, check our nursery. By tomorrow I should be back to full swing and have a post. In the meantime thanks for missing us and we hope our time away was a great time for you too!

Writing again from the mountain above Peacham Pond where Karl the Wonder Dog waits with impatience for a long walk.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook as Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens
On Twitter as vtflowerfarm

Nursery is open by chance or appointment now through Columbus Day. Fall is a great time for planting perennials, shrubs and trees.


Rugosa rose hips at circular entrance garden
Portland Head Lighthouse

1 comment:

lynn'sgarden said...

Love the lighthouse pic! We have immediate family that just moved near Portland so a trip will definite be in my future! Glad you took your much needed break, George!
Those rose hips look good enough to eat! ;)
Lynn