Sunday, July 18, 2010

Daylilies Galore


Sunday, July 18, 2010

One of those "got to get going" mornings. The 98% humidity doesn't seem to leave us and the stale air clings without popularity. I have to get to the nursery and work on the tractor. Grass to mow before customers start to arrive at 8.

Today I am guessing but the field is full of daylilies in bloom and there are more varieties blooming than we have time to pick for show...well over 160. I have had so many requests for info on how and when to divide daylilies that I'll have to put something together for folks. The web is full of videos but apparently people have a thing about trust. One person advised she would look no more when a daylily video started with a woman holding up a lilium bulb. Need to get these things right. Daylilies are easy to divide but confidence is not an easy thing to encourage so I will put something together soon.

If you are out and about today, stop by and see us. No directions needed. If you are heading through Marshfield from any direction, the field of color will be apparent. Bring plenty of water for pets, hiking, paddling, picnic type gear. Plenty to enjoy here! Local newspapers like the Hardwick Gazette or Caledonian-Record have good lists of events.

I'll be back with some daylily info in a day or so. Get your shovels ready!


Writing with haste from the mountain above Peacham Pond where the doe with one fawn visits today, one ear twitching as it processes potential danger signals, one eye on the fawn.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook as Vermont Flower farm and Gardens
On Twitter as vtflowerfarm

1 comment:

Jeff Branch said...

We have some common daylilies in our yard that I need to transplant to a more sun filled area. My wife says to just dig them up and toss them in the woods because they are nothing special. She commented on their very short bloom time. I don't know much about daylilies, but it seems to me that I should keep them. How long do they bloom?