Sunday, January 08, 2012

Stone Thoughts

Sunday, January 8, 2012

26.2° this morning and a very light wind. One inch of granular, washcloth-wiped-clean snow on the ground from sometime after midnight. As Karl the Wonder Dog pulled me along on his morning walk, I pulled back on the lead once in a while to bring him to a stop so I could listen for owl greetings but there weren't any today.

Stone is an important part of garden design to me. I am criticized for my backwards approach to gardening but the stone I use for garden accent, I often place after I do the plantings and things have set in for a while. That was not the case in 2000 when I started the garden pictured above with these seven stones.

I need to do a better job pulling together the resources I have found in person and on the Internet for other gardeners to use. This morning I came upon an interesting blog named Stone Art Blog. Give it a look-see. I am also enjoying Vermont dry wall stacker Dan Snow's blog, In The Company of Stone. Try the Dry Wall Stacking Across Canada site too. Here's their gallery which offers some nice ideas. Stone is hard but the softness it lends to gardens is a contrast to contemplate. Today is a fine day for thinking!! If you don't like thinking, then ruminate!


Writing from the mountain above Peacham Pond where breakfast crepes beckon and bird seed needs to be readied for morning chores.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
Vermont Flower Farm
On Facebook as Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens and also as George Africa
On Twitter at vtflowerfarm
Yes, we will help you grow your green thumb!


No comments: