Sunday, June 10, 2012

Verbena Bonariensis

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Almost 8 PM and it's been a long day at the flower farm. I started the day at 6:30 finishing up leftover tasks from yesterday and ended tonight watering hostas and digging holes for more shade plants in the lower garden. A week less than a year ago, I had just planted about 150 new hostas in the display garden and the floods came along and I lost everything that was newly planted. There is a chance the same thing could happen again but the weather pattern looks a little different this year than last. 

This morning I planted 48 Verbena bonariensis for use as cut flowers in August. I really like this plant but buy in seedlings because it is not that easy to get started. The growers at Clausen's in Colchester have this down pat and  it's a lot easier to trust the job to someone who knows how to do it. I figure it must be a little tricky even for them as the price per plant is higher than for most annuals.

By August this plant is four feet tall in our gardens and loaded with long stemmed flowers. It can actually take quite a severe frost and the leaves don't seem to darken until it really gets nailed. In many states it has been classified as invasive although I have not seen that problem here. There is some seed germination but so little that I am surprised when I find seedlings around the nursery.

I have a lot going on tomorrow and will end the day with a visit from the Granite City Garden Club. They will bring a picnic and tour the grounds. Gail and I will be there so if you're out and about and want to listen in, stop by about 6 PM. Until then, happy gardening!!

Writing from the mountain above Peacham Pond where my honey bees are still going in and out. I can see that I'll have to replenish their sugar water in the morning.

George Africa
The Vermont Gardener
On Facebook as Vermont Flower Farm and Gardens and also as George Africa
On Twitter as vtflowerfarm
Always here to help you grow your green thumb!

No comments: